UNC Charlotte: HOME of THE 49ERS
The Charlotte 49ers compete in 18 varsity sports on the NCAA Division I level and are members of Conference USA. There's always a 49er team in action throughout the year.
- The 49ers football program enjoyed its inaugural season in 2013 and quickly leapt to the FBS level in 2015 as a member of Conference USA. The 49ers compete on-campus in the 15,000 seat Jerry Richardson Stadium, which offers a wonderful setting for fall football Saturdays.
- The 49ers men’s and women’s basketball teams call Halton Arena home. Housed in the Barnhardt Student Activity Center, the 9105-seat Arena, bursts to life on game days with Niner Nation on top of the action.
- Our nationally-recognized men’s soccer team went to the NCAA Div. I National Championship game in 2011 and is regularly ranked in nation’s top 25.
- Our track and field program sends athletes to the NCAA Championships year in and year out while competing for the top prize in Conference USA. Among the standouts is sprinter/jumper Briauna Jones, who became the first 49ers student-athlete to represent the United States in the Olympic Games, when she earned a trip to Pyeongchang, South Korea for the 2018 Winter Olympics with the USA women’s bobsled team.
With nationally ranked teams and award-winning athletes, 49ers sports are always exciting. Attending games and supporting your team is a fun way to enjoy the university experience.
The 49ers also deliver excellence off the fields.
- In the classroom, the 49ers are among the leaders in Conference USA with 200+ student-athletes earning C-USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll status for posting GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Since 2003, the 49ers have produced over 25 Academic all-Americans.
- 49ers student-athletes regularly donate over 2,500 hours of community service annually in greater Charlotte region.
You can find more information about UNC Charlotte sports at Charlotte49ers.com. It is your up-to-the-second source for information on everything related to 49ers athletics. You can find rosters, results, schedules, and plenty of cool multi-media features.
Paint your face, don your Green and White and we'll see you at a 49ers game!
The 49ers boast outstanding facilities for our passionate fans to experience the excitement of college sports right here on campus:
The James H. Barnhardt Student Activity Center/Halton Arena...
- Contains the playing arena for the 49ers men's and women's basketball and volleyball programs. In addition, the facility includes locker rooms, coaches' offices and 49ers athletic department administrative offices.
The Jerry Richardson Football Stadium Complex...
- Includes the 15,000 seat stadium, a field house, and two practice fields
- A press box, complete with media seating, a university box and television and radio booths adorns the west sideline at the concourse level.
- The Field House includes coaches offices and meeting rooms, locker rooms and weight training rooms, as well as an Academic Center, a tiered classroom and a Hospitality Deck.
- The stadium field is a synthetic playing surface with inlay graphics and lines. A full length practice field and an 80-yard practice field is set off the east entrance.
Outdoors, the Belk Track Field Center/Transamerica Field...
- Includes the playing venue for the 49ers track and field and soccer programs.
- The site has played host to NCAA soccer tournament games, USA Track and Field events, and Track and Field and Soccer Championships.
The D.L. Phillips Sports Complex...
- Contains the athletic facilities for the 49ers Robert & Mariam Hayes Baseball Stadium, Sue M. Daughtridge Softball Stadium and the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex as well as the Wells Fargo Fieldhouse which includes the locker rooms and coaches offices for both soccer programs as well as the baseball and softball programs.