During our review process...
We occasionally defer applicants to regular decision who have good academic credentials, but from whom we would like more information before making an admissions decision.
A "Defer" decision is not necessarily a "Deny" decision.
- A defer decision allows us time to request for more information from you. We are giving you the opportunity to provide your mid-year grades and additional test scores, so we can consider this updated information when making your admission decision.
- 86% of Fall 2018 applicants who were deferred were later offered admission to UNC Charlotte for either the fall, spring, or an alternate pathway. 30% of applicants were admitted for Fall and more than 50% were offered deferred admission to Spring 2019.
Here are some helpful tips and next steps for deferred applicants:
Have your mid-year transcript sent to us by March 15.
If your school is not able to provide a mid-year report by March 15, please notify an Admissions Counselor by calling our office at (704) 687-5507.
Be sure that Admissions has all your ACT or SAT test scores on file.
- You may provide self-reported ACT and SAT test scores on your application. You will need to have your official scores sent by the testing agency only if you are admitted and you choose to enroll at UNC Charlotte.
- While only one score is required to complete an application, we superscore across SAT and ACT test dates, so it is to your benefit to send us every SAT and/or ACT that you have taken.
Contact us if you would like to know which of your test scores we have on file.
Be sure to report new or additional scores to us by March 15 at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our ACT school code is 3163; our SAT code is 5105.
- SAT: January and March scores are accepted for those who requested them to be sent to UNC Charlotte prior to test completion.
- ACT: February scores are accepted from those who requested scores to be sent to UNC Charlotte prior to test completion.
Apply for Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA by the March 1 priority deadline.
You do not have to wait until you have received an admissions decision to complete the FAFSA. We strongly recommend that you complete it by no later than March 1.
Watch for your final admission decision to arrive in the mail by April 1.