Second Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution may apply for admission to a program leading to a second degree of the same level if the following requirements are met:
- The major field selected must be different from that of the first degree.
- The applicant must meet the requirements for acceptance into selected fields.
- Students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA for these competitive majors: Business, Computer Science, Software & Information Systems, and Engineering programs.
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for Nursing.
- Please refer to our transfer guides for additional requirements for competitive majors.
Students seeking a second bachelor's degree must:
- Complete at least the last 25% of baccalaureate degree requirements, including the last 12 semester hours, in residence at UNC Charlotte in order to earn the degree.
- Achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 on all work attempted toward the second degree.
- Satisfy all departmental and college requirements for the degree.
- Students who have earned a bachelor's degree and are interested in taking additional college coursework but not earning a second bachelor's degree should apply as post-baccalaureate students. Those students apply through the Graduate School.
- Applicants who earned their first degree at UNC Charlotte must apply through the Registrar's office. For more information on that application process, visit the Registrar's website.
- Students who earned their first degree at another accredited institution must apply through the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
When to apply:
|Term||Suggested Application Date||Application Deadline||Term Begins|
|Fall||March 15||June 1||August|
|Spring||September 6||November 15||January|
|1st Summer||January 1||May 1||May|
|2nd Summer||January 1||June 1||July|
How to apply:
- Submit the online application in your Future 49er Web portal. Applications are reviewed only when all required credentials have been received by Undergraduate Admissions.
- One official transcript is required from the college or university where first degree was earned. Official transcripts may be sent directly to UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions - Cato Hall, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223. Or request that the registrar from each school send official transcripts to your address. Once you have received transcripts (do not open them), enclose them in the same envelope and send them to UNC Charlotte, Undergraduate Admissions - Cato Hall, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223. If you have taken any additional courses post-degree, please send official copies of the transcripts reflecting that coursework. Transcript envelopes must arrive in the Admissions Office sealed by the registrar in order to qualify for consideration. Some majors at UNC Charlotte are considered competitive and may require transcripts from all schools ever attended.
- Please allow a minimum of four weeks for a completed application to be processed.
- NOTE: The Office of Undergraduate Admissions at UNC Charlotte REQUIRES that all internationally-educated applicants have their foreign credentials evaluated by International Education Evaluations, Inc. or e-Val Reports. The evaluation must include an overall GPA.
Second-degree seeking students are not required to attend orientation (SOAR). However, to register for classes, you will be required to meet with an academic advisor in your department. Your admission letter will offer information about next steps in the enrollment process.
The admissions office does not evaluate and award transfer credits for second degree students. Your departmental advisor will review your prior credits to determine if you have any coursework that will satisfy second degree requirements.
Students who hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution will NOT be required to satisfy the UNC Charlotte General Education requirements for a second degree. You may, however, be required to complete prerequisite courses before advancing in your major requirements.