There are many different types of financial aid available to students: federal grants, state grants, student loans, parent loans, and work-study employment. But for UNC Charlotte, only one application is required to apply for all of these types of financial aid; it is commonly referred to as the “FAFSA”.
SUBMIT THE FAFSA
- In order to apply for federal or state financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. It is available online at www.fafsa.gov.
NEW! FAFSA OPENS OCTOBER 1ST
- For years, the FAFSA opened on January 1st. However, beginning with the 2017–2018 FAFSA, you can apply beginning Oct. 1, 2016!
- By filing the FAFSA earlier, you’ll have an earlier indication of how much your family is expected to contribute, which will help with budgeting for the upcoming school year.
- When filing the 2017–2018 FAFSA, you will report income and tax information from 2015. This change will make the FAFSA easier because you’ll already have done your taxes by the time you fill out your FAFSA, and you may be able to automatically import your tax information into your FAFSA.
- Be sure you have listed the UNC Charlotte school code (002975) on the application so that we receive your FAFSA information.
THE TIMELINE FOR FINANCIAL AID
- It’s important to get started applying for financial aid as soon as possible. Although there are deadlines for applications and submitting required forms, it’s never too soon to begin the process of gathering your information. We strongly encourage all students and their families to start early.
- The Priority Deadline for submitting your FAFSA is March 1.