Each year, more than 1,200 international students choose UNC Charlotte for their academic studies. As the region's leading public higher education institution and urban research university, UNC Charlotte is a driving force of growth, discovery and innovation for the Metro Carolinas. U.S. News & World Report recognized us as one of the ten most innovative colleges and universities in the country and for producing more start-up businesses than any other college or university.
Freshman Admission Requirements: Freshmen are students who are currently attending secondary school or who have not enrolled in classes after graduating from secondary school.
Transfer Admissions Requirements: Transfer applicants are individuals who have completed some academic work at an accredited college or university after graduating from secondary school (high school) and who wish to transfer to UNC Charlotte to earn a bachelor's degree.
Second Bachelor's degree applicants are individuals who have earned the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor's Degree from an regionally accredited college or university either in the U.S. or abroad.
Visiting applicants are individuals that are currently enrolled at a college or university in the U.S. who wish to attend UNC Charlotte during one or both of our summer sessions. International students may only apply for admission as a visiting student for one of the summer sessions.
If you have been admitted to UNC Charlotte, please follow these next steps for enrollment.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions should receive a complete application package before the application deadline date shown below. Students are encouraged to complete their application as soon as possible. Applications received after the deadline will be processed on a space available basis.
Freshmen - Fall Semester
- Freshmen Early Deadline: November 1
- Freshmen Final Deadline: February 1 (Applications submitted after February 1st are reviewed on a space-available basis.)
- Because of enrollment capacity, we do not admit freshmen for spring.
Transfers - Fall Semester
- Transfer Deadline for Fall: June 1
Transfers - Spring Semester
- Transfer Deadline for Spring: November 15
- Applicants seeking conditional admission who plan to enroll, or who are enrolled, in UNC Charlotte's English Language Training Institute, should refer to the ELTI website for application details.
- Applications to the School of Architecture must be complete by January 31st to be considered for admission in the fall semester. Admission is competitive and is for the fall semester only.
- Applications for Art majors must be complete by January 31st. Please review website deadlines and portfolio requirements.
- Transfer nursing applicants who have completed all nursing prerequisites and are ready to be considered for the upper division nursing major must have all credentials submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by January 15th for Fall admission.
The university may alter the date for acceptance of applicants without further notice in accordance with available resources and enrollment limitations established by the North Carolina General Assembly.
Got Questions? Read these frequently asked questions for answers to the most popular questions.
Who is an International Student?
A student is considered international for "admissions" purposes if he/she:
- Holds non-immigrant visa/status in the USA, such as F-1, H-4, L-2, etc.
- Intends to hold non-immigrant visa/status in the USA.
- Is "undocumented". UNC Charlotte defines "undocumented" as a student with no immigration status, Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals status, or Temporary Protected Status.
A student is considered domestic for "admissions" purposes if he/she is a:
- US citizen
- US permanent resident
- Pending permanent resident
- Political asylee or refugee